Saturday, January 2, 2010

{Save Money Live Better}

I am needing the answer, and maybe you have it. . .

I am trying to save money on our grocery bill. I know the first smart thing to do would be to stop buying groceries and then eating out. Good idea, huh?

I have started going to Sam's. I invested in these Ziplocs, and after I divided everything up for the freezer I felt more confident about the painful total I received at the register.

What is even more painful is when you leave Sam's you still need to go to Wal-Mart. . .

What I have found with coupons is that you typically have to buy 2 or more name brand items, and I can buy Great Value cheaper.

I don't know. Any ideas?
You can't say Aldes (sp?) because I already tried that. . .

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hey! You know this is my favorite "hobby". In my opinon, the key to saving money is getting all you "Wal-Mart" stuff (i.e. toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, razors, cleaning stuff...) for next to nothing, so you have more $$ to spend on food. I have found that I don't save $$ when I shop at Sams. There are a few things like bottled water, bread, and gas that I buy there, but otherwise I tend to just over spend then waste some of it because we can't use it all before it goes bad. I have found that Aldi does have it's adavantages. I go about once a month and buy canned veggies, cream soups, mixes like corn bread and stuff. Their canned goods are WAY less expensive and we can't tell the difference. I also LOVE Walgreens. Using coupons is work, but it is totally worth it. I haven't paid for razors, toothpaste, lotion, shampoo...in so long I can't even remember. I find that when I grocery shop in "stockpile" mode it is easier to save money with coupons. Get the ads out of the Sunday paper (Target and Aldi) and price match at Wal-Mart to save the trip to Ft. Smith if you can. Wal-Mart will price match Aldi's "store brand" items for their Great Value brand. I also price match Aldi's price for produce very often. If you want to talk sometime, call me!!

Tonia Hobbs said...

OH ERIN!! I knew you would pull through for me! I cant even reveal my total in Sams. . . it is frightening. I dont think I am on the right track. . . Somehow I have got to get on this Walgreens bandwagon. It seems sooo confusing. I will try. I will report back. I know you are right about all the "Walmart EXTRAS"! They stick it to me EVERY TIME!!

Erin said...

You are cracking me up! The good thing about the Sams trip is, hopefully you won't have to go back for a long time...I actually sat down and planned out my meals, tried to use up stuff in the pantry, then made a LIST for Wal-Mart the other day and did really well. A list keeps me accountable! Now if I can just stay away from Geno's!! :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS