Monday, January 24, 2011

{Radical Thoughts}

It's been awhile since this has been my read on the bedside table.

#1 I was/am fortunate enough to be on a church staff as I was reading. So, I was able to question, comment, and listen, but mostly be guided through this somewhat confusing book. . . in my opinion.

#2 Things I will share are part opinion, part words from Platt, and part from other research I have done on my own.

What I fear about this book is. . .
Baby Christians. Young Christians. or perhaps Seasoned Christians that are left feeling mushed & gooshed up on the inside, and ultimately feel full of guilt.

Have you asked yourself any of the following?

When am I going to be radical enough?

How do I need to give?

What do I need to do?

Where do I need to go in order to do enough for Christ?

These, my friends, are all unhealthy questions. (according to Platt)

The Gospel tells us that Christ alone is able to do enough.
He has been faithful enough.
He has been generous enough.
He has be compassionate enough.

The Gospel beckons our sin-sick-souls to simply trust in Christ. The one and only that is truly radical enough. In Him, we no longer live from a position of guilt, but from a position of righteousness.

We shouldn't walk away wondering if life spent as a loan officer, stay-at-home mom, tithing to your church, praying for your kids, learning to love Christ more & serving in the Sunday School could possibly be pleasing to God.


The whole world wasn't rebuked for neglecting the man on the Jericho road, but the priest & the Levite were (Luke 10:29-37).

Just some thoughts. . .

3 comments:

Beaubecky said...

I just don't know how we could ever be "radical" enough. The things we do in general living for Christ is great & it is what we are suppose to do but to me there is always more. If we don't get out there then who will. Just my thoughts.

Katie said...

The book could be a good thing if it gets in the hand of the right person at the right time. Not all of us are at that level. I have guilt about a lot of things. I don't know if it is my upbringing or the enemy. I fell guilty that I will never be or do enough. There will be times that the book is what I need to hear and other times I just need to be still and know that He is God. That He loves me and that He rooting for me. You know what I mean? I do think we are comfortable and to comfortable at times. I know that I am selfish and at times it is easy to put God into a idol that serves me, makes me sad. I know that I am saved by Grace, and He had forgiven me. Tough book I agree but good.

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

I read this book and loved it and I can see what you r saying but here are some of my thoughts. I agree that no one should "live radically" for God bc they r trying to be worthy of Him. He is gracious enough to save us and love us desite the fact that we r sinners. however a part of being a christian is obedience. obedience to His will for our lives and obedience to what He has taught us in His word. I know for me,the problem is that in my comfort I have forgotten what it truly means to obey God. to step out of my little bubble and get a little dirty. to love Christ so much that I am willing to obey EVERYTHING He has taught me in the bible. I think its good to ask ourselves, "what do I need to do?" "how can I serve you?", "what breaks your heart God and how can I do my part to be your hands and feet on this earth?" we ask these questions not bc we r trying to be worthy, but out of love for our Lord and obedience. I think He has outlined exactly how we
should show our obedience in the Bible. As far as the story of the good samaritan goes, I think the priest and the levite were rebuked bc they KNEW the man needed help and they stayed "comfortable" in their own world instead. if we KNOW that someone is suffering even on the other side of the world, I believe this illustrates that we must help. Out of love and obedience. just my thoughts. sorry so long. thanks for sharing yours!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS